List:       qubes-users
Subject:    [qubes-users] The safest way to search in files on an external hard drive
From:       Michael Singer <singermichael () posteo ! de>
Date:       2021-05-31 14:55:14

Dear Qubes community,

I am looking for a really secure way to use Qubes for searching not only a hard drive \
for file names, but for text that is in files.

The goal is to avoid an exploit in the searched files leading to a takeover of the \
hard drive by malware.

The total size of all my files is too large for me to put them all in one qube before \
searching for text in them.

Would it perhaps be possible to mount only a single partition of the hard drive into \
a qube, but not with write permissions, only read permissions?

I would do the search on command line, using "grep" for plain text files, "pdfgrep" \
for PDFs, and something for table files, databases, etc.

Is my idea feasible? And how secure would it be?

Best regards
Michael Singer