List:       qubes-users
Subject:    Re: [qubes-users] MS Office 365 in Qubes
From:       Sven Semmler <Sven () SvenSemmler ! org>
Date:       2021-05-27 18:27:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

TLDR: installing O365 using CrossOver is a normal Linux thing and has
nothing Qubes OS specific to it -- whatever works in a "normal" Linux
will work on Qubes OS too; if done with a standard Debian/Fedora qube
all Qubes OS features will work.

> experience running CrossOver in Qubes

I don't have any experience running O365 in CrossOver, but have observed
others doing so on "normal" Linux installs (Mint, Ubuntu etc). They
appeared satisfied.

> Is it easy to get data in/out to other vms (via copy paste or file
> transfer)?

It's a normal debian/fedora qube so all your Qubes features work.
Wine/CrossOver is an emulation layer, which means there is no Windows
clipboard but instead when the respective API gets invoked the contents
lands in your linux clipboard (inside the qube). From there you use the
normal shortcuts to transfer to/from dom0.

Sending/Receiving files works as always. Your Windows C: drive lives
under ~/.wine/drive_c or something similar.

O365 is not and has never been my main concern, but I do have it
installed in a Windows 10 qube. The reason I need Windows has more to do
with proprietary automotive network analyzing tools for which I also
need USB (that doesn't work with CrossOver). So it was never really a
question for me.

My point to the OP was merely that if O365 is the ONLY reason to run
Windows, I'd go and download a free eval copy of CrossOver and try that
first before attempting to install an entire Windows qube. Also because
I suspect it'll be far lighter on resources and cheaper than buying a
Windows license.

I'd recommend the same to you. It won't cost you a thing. Wine is FOSS
and CrossOver is a somewhat more polished commercial version of it with
a free evaluation. The reason I recommend it is that I expect it to work
a bit smoother than the vanilla Wine for the installation. Although the
Wine has also a package called Winetricks ... you could give that a try too.