List:       qubes-users
Subject:    Re: [qubes-users] Recovering data from secondary drive
From:       haaber <haaber () web ! de>
Date:       2019-11-29 6:51:39

> I recently copied my AppVMs (and some custom templates) onto my
> secondary drive according to this guide [1].
> Now that I have reinstalled my QubesOS onto my main drive and unlocked
> my secondary drive, I can't access the AppVMs saved. Yes, I should have
> backed it up and restored it correctly, but I didn't. The private data
> is still there, pvs and lvs confirm it. Is there a way to rebuild my
> AppVMs and Templates (or even just make new AppVMs with the remaining
> private data)?

Can you still acces the data? Then backup-up it first manually please,
to avoid crying:

truncate -s 200G container.luks
losetup /dev/loop42 container.luks
cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/loop42
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/loop42 BACKUP
mkfs.ext2 /dev/mapper/BACKUP
mkdir /backup
mount /dev/mappper/BACKUP /backup
rsync -auv /source/   /backup/subdir/

Then umount, cryptsetup luksClose, and losetup -f /dev/loop42.

After that, I would probably setup the qubes again, but I am not expert
on that. Bernhard