List:       qubes-users
Subject:    Re: [qubes-users] Luks with yubikey + aem
From:       Joe <Joeviocoe () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2018-08-28 17:41:49

On Sunday, 17 January 2016 10:51:28 UTC-5, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki  wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 01:25:10PM +0000, Rusty Bird wrote:
> > Rusty Bird:
> > > - To protect the LUKS key with "something you have" -- the AEM
> > > stick -- we could add a secret.luks.encrypted file, which holds the
> > > actual LUKS passphrase (not usually typed in during boot, only when
> > > unsealing fails due to upgrades), symmetrically encrypted with
> > > another passphrase.
> >
> > Ugh, this doesn't prevent a multi-stage attack:
> >
> > 1. the attacker visually captures the disk passphrase during a
> > successful boot
> > 2. later, they take a copy of the encrypted disk and infect the system
> > 3. later, the user attaches the AEM stick and boots; the infected
> > system copies secret.luks.encrypted.sealed somewhere -- cue scary
> > music as STATEFULNESS reveals itself from the shadows yet again; now
> > the user notices the failed unseal
>
> And this is great thing about YubiKey - you can't easily copy it.
> Otherwise yes, AEM stick could be "something you have" factor (not sure
> if exactly the way you've proposed, but something like this).
>
> > 4. the attacker quickly gets to the infected notebook; then reverts it
> > to the original state, and unseals + decrypts the LUKS passphrase
> >
> > Portable Qubes installations limit the attacker to copying only a
> > couple of megabytes of the encrypted disk data during (3), instead of
> > taking a complete copy during (2); they also make the infection harder.
> >
> > Or secret.luks.encrypted.sealed could be on a second-stage AEM stick,
> > which the user should connect *after* verifying the OTP... :\
> >
> > > - To protect the secret from visibility, we could plug in Matthew
> > > Garrett's TOTP concept via a secret.totp file containing the seed.
> > > And then add a non-default GRUB boot entry to unseal the regular
> > > static secret.{txt,png}, in case the user doesn't have their
> > > authenticator device with them.
> >
> > The mobile device's TOTP generator would have to be working in a sort
> > of verifier (not prover) mode, simultaneously displaying OTPs for a
> > couple of preceding and following 30-second time steps. Is there
> > anything like that for Android?
>
> I don't think so...
>
> - --
> Best Regards,
> Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
> Invisible Things Lab
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Any further discussion or thought about this?
I want to use AEM, but I am currently using yubikey Chal/Resp for LUKS at boot time \
(https://github.com/the2nd/ykluks).   I am sure installing AEM would conflict in some \
way.

I would like AEM and ykluks to work simultaneously if possible... or if AEM can use \
the yubikey instead of a USB drive, and still be used as 2nd factor to decrypt the \
multiple LUKS devices.