List:       qubes-users
Subject:    Re: [qubes-users] Installation Problems: Dell XPS 13 (9350) +1
From:       Marek =?utf-8?Q?Marczykowski-G=C3=B3recki?= <marmarek () invisiblethingslab ! com>
Date:       2015-12-31 0:05:01

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 09:11:27PM +0100, R.B. wrote:
> On 12/28/2015 10:47 PM, R.B. wrote:

> > > I couldn't find a quick way to add a boot option at run-time in rEFIned,
> > > like i was able in legacy mode.
> >
> > Unfortunately it didn't work. Neither the original image or the 20151226
> > image with rEFInd worked out. In both cases I got no anaconda.
> > Not sure what goes wrong here.
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I figured it might be a better idea to install under legacy and change the
> boot method after the install attempt. At first I thought I could get away
> with using the UEFI bootconfig from the installation medium, but I couldn't
> make it fit.

Generally it is hard to install UEFI system, not running in UEFI mode.
Mostly because running legacy mode you don't have access to UEFI
configuration, so can't register the system there.

That said, it is possible, having some UEFI compatible live system...

> I would need to know:
> - Which files are used in the EFI partition?

xen.efi
xen.cfg (check example from #794 ticket linked above)
vmlinuz
initramfs

> - How is the boot process setup? What calls what? And how?

You need to register xen.efi as boot application. Some BIOSes allow to
do that from configuration menu. If not, get some UEFI system and use
efibootmgr. Something like this (untested):

efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 1 -l '\EFI\qubes\xen.efi' -L Qubes

Then adjust boot order to have it as default (if you want).

> - Maybe, a view in the files used in the boot partition in so far it differs
> from the legacy boot configuration.
> - Is the EFI image mounted? If so, how?

If you install in legacy mode, by default it will not create EFI boot
partition. You need to take care of it yourself. It needs to be on GPT
partition table, partition type "EFI system", with vfat filesystem.
It is common to mount it in /boot/efi.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki