List:       qubes-users
Subject:    Re: [qubes-users] VM screen size wrong
From:       Marek =?utf-8?Q?Marczykowski-G=C3=B3recki?= <marmarek () invisiblethingslab ! com>
Date:       2015-10-31 23:48:51

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 10:17:49AM -0700, Thomas Leonard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I often find that an AppVM ignores mouse clicks towards the bottom and
> right of the screen (or treats them as clicks along some invisible border).
>
> I have this problem right now, so I did a few checks. dom0 reports:
>
> $ xrandr
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 6720 x 2160, maximum 8192 x 8192
> eDP-0 connected 2880x1620+3840+499 (normal left inverted right x axis y
> axis) 344mm x 193mm
> 2880x1620     59.96*+  50.00
> [...]

+3840+499 ?  unusual position (especially this 499).

> DP-0 connected primary 3840x2160+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
> axis) 527mm x 296mm
> 3840x2160     60.00*+
> [...]
> HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> HDMI-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>
> But my AppVM reports:
>
> $ xrandr
> Screen 0: minimum 64 x 64, current 2880 x 1620, maximum 32767 x 32767
> DUMMY0 connected 2880x1620+0+0 0mm x 0mm
> QB6720x2160   20.63 +
> QB2880x1620   59.96*
> DUMMY1 connected
> QB6720x2160   20.63 +
> QB3840x2160   59.98
> DUMMY2 disconnected
> DUMMY3 disconnected

Ok, 3840x2160 got there, just wasn't enabled.

Dom0 uses `qubes-monitory-layout-notify` tool for informing VM of screen
layout. You can call it manually with a VM name as a parameter (if you
don't, all the VMs will be informed). Then check `journalctl -b` in that
VM for any errors.

> It looks like the AppVM is restricted to the size of the internal screen,
> ignoring the external monitor, although it seems to know about the real
> size too. Doing "xrandr --auto" in the AppVM fixes it, but it would be nice
> if it worked automatically. How can I debug this?
>
> Note that I have some problems resuming from suspend, which might be
> affecting things. The sequence goes something like this:
>
> 1. I open the laptop, causing it to resume.
> 2. The login screen appears on laptop screen.
> 3. After a second or two, the external DP monitor announces it's waking up.
> 4. The laptop screen goes blank. The top-left part of the login screen
> appears on external monitor (about a quarter of the screen is used).
> 5. After another second or two, the area shown changes to be slightly
> larger.

Try resuming with external screen disconnected and connect it after
logging in.

> After logging in, I can only see and use the top-left part of the external
> screen. I can't see or mouse into the rest of the screen or the laptop
> monitor. Running these commands in dom0 makes everything work again (I set
> up a keyboard short-cut for this):
>
> xrandr --output DP-0 --pos 0x1
> xrandr --output DP-0 --pos 0x0
>
> Finally, I don't know if this is related, but my dom0 always has a huge
> number of zombie qubes-monitor-l processes, e.g. currently I have:

Somehow related to that tool - there is indeed a bug with handling
children processes, but it shouldn't affect its main functionality.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab