List:       qubes-users
Subject:    Re: [qubes-users] choose a desktop pc fpr qubes
From:       Jake <behindtext () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-09-28 12:11:50

On 09/28/2015 11:59 AM, fteste wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to choose a cpu for a desktop pc in order to use qubes. Are
> there a better family e.g. (celeron\pentium\i3/i5) or clock rate?
>
> I mostly run 2/3 appvm at time doing basics task, in addition to
> sys-firewall, net-vm etc.

you probably want an intel i5, i7 or xeon that supports vt-d and vt-x.
keep in mind that some cpus will not support vt-d, so definitely check
the particular cpu supports vt-d.

additionally, some motherboards do not support vt-d. i have not found a
very good way to nose these out, but iirc the Z97/H97 boards should
support vt-d.