List:       qubes-users
Subject:    Re: [qubes-users] adding torbrowser to shortcuts
From:       WhonixQubes <whonixqubes () riseup ! net>
Date:       2015-02-25 9:16:19

On 2015-02-25 4:01 am, cprise wrote:
> On 02/24/15 20:51, support wrote:
>
> > I'm fairly certain that is not possible, but if installed in an
> > templatevm you can simply open a terminal for an appvm (based on
> > that
> > template) and use the command line to open the browser. at least,
> > this
> > is what we concluded with our implementation.
> >
> > On 25/02/2015 09:32, Lee Malek wrote:
> >
> > > How can you add the torbrowser to the shortcuts for an appvm? It's
> > > not listed in the available shortcuts.
>
> Of course its possible. In KDE right-click on the start button and
> choose 'Edit Applications'. Then select the submenu for the VM you
> wish to run torbrowser (e.g. Domain: tor-browsing) then click New
> Item. Give the new entry a name like 'Torbrowser' and a command that
> starts with qvm-run.
>
> A straightforward command will get the torbrowser running, but
> torbrowser will probably try to run its own copy of tor (not a good
> thing). To get torbrowser running properly with Qubes Torvm, put the
> following 'runtb' script in your home folder:
>
> > #!/bin/bash
> > cd ~/tor-browser_en-US
> > TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH=1
> > export TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH
> > ./start-tor-browser
>
> This assumes you put the tor-browser folder in your home folder.
>
> Then make is executable:
>
> > chmod +x runtb
>
> And back in the KDE menu editor, add the command like so:
>
> > qvm-run -q --tray tor-browsing '/home/user/runtb'
>
> Finally, in torbrowser itself you must click the onion icon then
> Preferences, and enable the 'Transparent Torification' option.
>
> An alternative to the above is to install the Whonix-Qubes
> experimental template VMs. These already work very well, downloading
> and setting up the torbrowser package for you complete with menus. Its
> also ideal if you want to use Tor for more than web browsing (Torvm
> isn't so good for non-web apps).

Right.

Qubes + Whonix is a dedicated Tor-based AnonVM environment, built for
improved anonymity that regular AppVMs don't support well.

Whonix is currently based on Debian.

And a new version is being prepared for release soon.

Also I'm working on creating the full user documentation for the new
architecture.

Current Qubes + Whonix beta instructions are here:

https://www.whonix.org/forum/index.php/topic,896.0.html

WhonixQubes