List:       qubes-users
Subject:    Re: [qubes-users] Password-less KDM login
From:       David Hobach <tripleh () nurfuerspam ! de>
Date:       2015-02-22 17:42:22

On 22.02.2015 18:11, george wrote:

> On 22/02/15 12:35, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> > > Thanks a lot Marek, that did the job!
> > >
> > > For reference:
> > > In /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf under [SeatDefaults] (not where the
> > > documentation is written down)
> > > autologin-user=[user]
> > > autologin-user-timeout=0

> > > I see your point. So in a perfect world there'd be some checkbox during
> > > Qubes installation. ;-)
> > >
> > > Btw a low prio Qubes VM Manager bug I noticed:
> > > If you have the VM Manager in autostart and the dom0 boot + VM
> > > Manager start
> > > process is faster than starting the netvm and firewallvm those two will
> > > always remain in "yellow" state instead of the green one. Apparently a
> > > racing condition/missing VM Manager update. That's not really
> > > important as
> > > long as there were no errors during those VM startup processes, but
> > > rather
> > > annoying otherwise as the user doesn't notice these errors.
> >
> > Actually this is not manager problem, but fast (auto-)login. Netvm is
> > started asynchronously in the background and if you login before it is
> > started, GUI will do not connect to it. A workaround would be to add
> > some delay in autologin, or in /etc/xdg/autostart/qubes-guid.desktop.
> >
> I had also noticed this happening but hadn't got round to trying to find
> out why.  I've just been opening a terminal in netvm which turns the
> state to green.  Same thing for firewallvm for me.

The /etc/xdg/autostart/qubes-guid.desktop just worked perfectly with a
10s delay, thanks.
Actually the code "qvm-run --all true" looks like the already existing
workaround to update the state (I'd never have guessed that from looking
at it) similar to what george mentions; so using "sleep 10 && qvm-run
--all true" certainly doesn't hurt.