List:       qubes-users
Subject:    Re: [qubes-users] The best laptop for QubesOS
From:       cprise <cprise () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-11-28 19:40:05

  <head>
  </head>
cite="mid:CAJhSvoqk7RQdXvafgYLi5WOkGZLCDGWMpHC_Cp_QUarw=eM1Kg@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
            do you have any special recommendation when it comes to the
            laptop that one should choose for QubesOS?<br>
    Thinkpad T series laptops are pretty safe for Qubes. It should be
    configured with a fingerprint reader (meaning a TPM chip will also
    be included) and should have a CPU that is listed as having VT-d on
    the Intel ARK website.<br>
    I am using a T430s. Also T430, T440p, X230 and X1 Carbon (Gen 1) are
    known to work well. The X240 isn't on the HCL, but I'd bet it works
    as well with Qubes as the X230.<br>
    If you are concerned about hardware compatibility beyond the special
    Qubes requirements and you don't want to stay within the models on
    the Qubes HCL, then you can use Fedora 20 as a way to test or
    research a particular system's compatibility (Qubes R2 is based on
    Fedora 20). Also, Ubuntu has a great HCL and that will give you an
    idea about general hardware compatibility for particular models
    (since most hardware drivers on Qubes are supplied by Linux kernel)
    although Fedora generally does a poorer job of managing drivers than
    Ubuntu.<br>
cite="mid:CAJhSvoqk7RQdXvafgYLi5WOkGZLCDGWMpHC_Cp_QUarw=eM1Kg@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
            I know you have Hardware Compatibility List but among those
            devices that have all green fields, is there any particular
            one you could recommend? I mean, the perfect thing would be
            to have laptop that has verified firmware to ensure that it
            has no backdoors.<br>
    I think you mean open firmware like CoreBoot. I'm not even sure if
    that works with Qubes (yet) but you can search for discussions about
    that project. I know some Thinkpads have CoreBoot adapted for them.<br>
    Also, the Purism computers that are at a crowdsource funding stage
    may be of interest to you (a thread was recently started here about
    them).<br>
cite="mid:CAJhSvoqk7RQdXvafgYLi5WOkGZLCDGWMpHC_Cp_QUarw=eM1Kg@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
          Regards :-)<br>
        PS By the way, does QubesOS protect users in any way against
        those who may have physical access to the computer and attempt
        to install e.g. keylogger to bootloader if the disc is
        encrypted? Or does it deal in any particular way with malicious
        code that can possibly be introduced in UEFI?<br>
      --<br>
    The Qubes installer does encrypt the "whole" disk, which means
    everything except the bootloader. For more protection, you can
    install the Anti Evil Maid package:<br>
    <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" \
href="http://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.com/2011/09/anti-evil-maid.html">http://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.com/2011/09/anti-evil-maid.html</a><br>

-- <br />
&quot;qubes-users&quot; group.<br /> To unsubscribe from this group and stop \
receiving emails from it, send an email to <a \
href="mailto:qubes-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com">qubes-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com</a>.<br \
/> To post to this group, send email to <a \
href="mailto:qubes-users@googlegroups.com">qubes-users@googlegroups.com</a>.<br /> To \
view this discussion on the web visit <a \
href="https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/5478CF95.9040803%40gmail.com?utm_m \
edium=email&utm_source=footer">https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/5478CF95.9040803%40gmail.com</a>.<br \
/> For more options, visit <a \
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br \