List:       qubes-users
Subject:    Re: [qubes-users] Re: Estimating Qubes User Base
From:       Zrubi <mail () zrubi ! hu>
Date:       2014-11-26 7:53:45

On 11/25/14 22:49, Joanna Rutkowska wrote:

> BTW, we agreed it would be best if we could have a simple cron script
> running on our updates server issuing the above command every day (or
> every hour?),

If you run that script too frequently you should cumulate the result to
get real userbase numbers... But the cumulating will surely distort the
results.

Instead you should run it just as frequent as the stable userbase
updating their systems. I guess 2-4 weeks for that. I guess the real
users will update their systems in this interval for sure.

Then we will get a separate number for every interval. this way we will
see dropping numbers as well - if that ever occur ;)

Of course this assumes that you keep and process the logs with the same
frequency as we decide for the stats.

> save it to a (static) text file and make this available
> under some static url, e.g.

I would recommend a simple .csv or .json format for this.

> Wojtek even promised to do that, and Zrubi, I remember, already was
> supposed to write and host a graph-drawing widget somewhere?

Yes, I can host it - if it is the desired way. We can even use some
.qubes-os.org URL if you provide one.

(or I can just provide the javascript based graph code, and you can
serve it with a same static web server)

--
Zrubi