List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    [qubes-devel] Qubes OS 4.0.2-rc3 has been released!
From:       Andrew David Wong <adw () qubes-os ! org>
Date:       2019-12-13 15:02:25

Dear Qubes Community,

We're pleased to announce the third release candidate for Qubes 4.0.2!

Features:
- - All 4.0 dom0 updates to date
- - Fedora 30 TemplateVM
- - Debian 10 TemplateVM
- - Whonix 15 Gateway and Workstation TemplateVMs
- - Linux kernel 4.19 by default

Qubes 4.0.2-rc3 is available on the Downloads page:

https://www.qubes-os.org/downloads/

What is a point release?
========================

A point release does not designate a separate, new version of Qubes OS.
Rather, it designates its respective major or minor release (in this
case, 4.0) inclusive of all updates up to a certain point. Installing
Qubes 4.0 and fully updating it results in the same system as installing
Qubes 4.0.2.

What should I do?
=================

If you installed Qubes 4.0 or 4.0.1 and have fully updated [1], then
your system is already equivalent to a Qubes 4.0.2 installation. No
further action is required.

Regardless of your current OS, if you wish to install (or reinstall)
Qubes 4.0 for any reason, then the 4.0.2 ISO makes this more convenient
and secure, since it bundles all Qubes 4.0 updates to date.

*Note:* At 4.5 GiB, the Qubes 4.0.2-rc3 ISO will not fit on a
single-layer DVD (for the technical details underlying this, please see
issue #5367 [2]). Instead, we recommend copying the ISO onto a
sufficiently large USB drive. [3] However, if you would prefer to
use optical media, we suggest selecting a dual-layer DVD or Blu-ray disc.

Release candidate planning
==========================

If no major issues are discovered in 4.0.2-rc3, we expect the stable
release of 4.0.2 to follow in a few weeks. As usual, you can help by
[reporting any bugs you encounter][reporting-bugs].

[1] https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/updating-qubes-os/
[2] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5367
[3] https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/installation-guide/#copying-the-iso-onto-the-installation-medium
 [4] https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/reporting-bugs/

This announcement is also available on the Qubes website:
https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2019/12/13/qubes-4-0-2-rc3/

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS