List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    [qubes-devel] Nvidia Kmod
From:       Frédéric_Pierret_(fepitre) <frederic.epitre () orange ! fr>
Date:       2018-05-06 9:37:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

[Attachment #4 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi all,

I'm trying to build NVIDIA driver from the negativo17 repository for
Qubes4.0 and I'm encountering some trouble when building nvidia-kmod.
With the current config of stable-4.14 (even master) of the kernel
(CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y).

- A first try gives the error:

"Cannot generate ORC metadata for CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y, please install
libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel"

I installed the package, and now, I'm having an issue similar to:
https://gist.github.com/ivan/2ab781098efced0dc725f33c60c6666f, related
to linking non existent objects files.

- Following the idea posted there for testing, I rebuilt a kernel with:

# CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC is not set
CONFIG_UNWINDER_FRAME_POINTER=y

and in order to have the kmod build fine, I have to now remove in the
chroot the elfutils-libelf-devel package (which breaks some dependencies)...

I would prefer to keep CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y, I checked that objtool is
enabled (CONFIG_STACK_VALIDATION=y only?) but I'm still digging and
learning things around this UNWINDER_ORC.

With respect to the GCC Qubes patches and the current config of the
kernel, anyone has an idea of what CONFIG parameter I should check?

Thank you in advance,
Frédéric