List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    Re: [qubes-devel] Qubes Air's usefulness
From:       Marek =?utf-8?Q?Marczykowski-G=C3=B3recki?= <marmarek () invisiblethingslab ! com>
Date:       2018-01-23 15:32:51

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 07:12:23AM -0800, bowabos@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, 23 January 2018 14:44:21 UTC, Ivan Mitev  wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not sure if you guys caught the subtle side-effects of the 'Qubes-Air'
> > > proposal. It didn't hit me until I slept on it.
> >
> > yep - the same thing occurred to me this morning after yesterday's post,
> > when I thought "hmm, they ended up drinking the cloud kool-aid like
> > everybody else"...
> >
> > I don't think I'll ever use Qubes in the cloud as I'm often in places
> > where I can't rely on a good internet connection but being able to
> > locally and securely use different hardware platforms for different
> > workloads/usage opens a whole new world of use cases. (I liked the idea
> > of a dumb microcontroller for the vault VM).
>
> You however may want to use cloud services. I.e. a great one like Office 265
> and have a VM on Azure to host the browser that connect to it... with
> the display streamed back home securely (and I agree with your
> question just below).

Yes, this is one use case - run untrusted applications somewhere far
from your trusted hardware, so even bugs in hypervisor and/or hardware
will not allow that application break into your trusted machine.

One may want to do this not only for security, but also for convenience
- - carry a small personal (trusted) device, while still use powerful
resources of some remote (less trusted) machine. This is of course
possible right now with different technologies already, but having it
integrated into Qubes may be even more convenient.

But there is also another case - use separate hardware (or whole zones)
for specific, trusted applications. For example one may design Split GPG
on separate device that way it will not be possible to extract secret
keys even after breaking into Admin VM. A qube may simply not expose any
qrexec service for that.

Something very similar can already be done on USB Armory:
https://github.com/inversepath/usbarmory/blob/master/software/buildroot/README-Qubes_Split_GPG.md
 You just need to lock out full ssh access and expose only gpg-related
services.

Split GPG is just one example of such scenario, but there surely will be
many more.

Also, applying different zones for different stuff, allows better,
independent auditing. Although this is more useful for corporate
scenarios, not personal ones.

> > One thing I'm not sure about though is how the "networked" qubes rpc
> > will be secured (attack surface of the tcp implementation and/or higher
> > protocols encapsulating rpc, ...).

Yes, this is one of things we need to carefully design and implement.
Some preliminary ideas include stripping network layer (IP, TCP) in
sys-net, and pass raw encrypted & authenticated data stream to separate
VM over channel. Then decrypt it there. The "encrypted & authenticated"
is also not an easy concept, lets avoid heartbleed.
So, a long way before Qubes Air will become a reality.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab