List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    Re: [qubes-devel] (trying to avoid) unpacking before checking signatures
From:       Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin () linuxfoundation ! org>
Date:       2017-11-14 15:33:52

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 01:05:00AM +0000, HW42 wrote:

> What's the reason for not signing the compressed files in the first
> place? Compressing the files two times and then uploading three
> signatures (for .tar, .tar.xz and .tar.gz) doesn't sound so bad.

Yes it is. Compressing the Linux tarball with xz -9 takes about 20
minutes on a laptop. Greg, who does 3-4 releases at the same time, is
not willing to wait 1.5 hours just to generate signatures, especially if
he's running on battery.

> The compression process is also reproducible. After a bit testing I
> found the parameters which seem to be currently used (see attached
> script). For the last few mainline/stable/longterm releases this works
> fine. But it seems that not long ago the parameters changed (for example
> the 4.11 tar.xz used other parameters).

It's not at all guaranteed to be reproducible. The parameters changed
because we upgraded the OS and switched to using pixz for better
parallelized compressing. We may furthermore lazy-recompress older .gz
archives with better tools than vanilla gzip (e.g. zopfli), because the
savings may be worth it. Putting the signature on the .tar archive
allows us to do it and does not tie us to any particular compression
format.

> If someone wants to play around with generating the archives from git
> you can run the attached script in an checked out linux repository. It
> will verify the git tag so you need the matching key in your gpg
> keyring.

I am kind of surprised that you are going the route of using git if the
initial conversation started out with not trusting compression software.
Wouldn't git have much larger complexity than unxz, and therefore using
it be a net loss in security?

-K