List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    [qubes-devel] Re: [GSoC] Qubes-MIME-Handlers Weekly Progress Report #7
From:       Andrew Morgan <anoa () openmailbox ! org>
Date:       2017-08-01 7:59:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

On 07/31/2017 03:17 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 11:48:48PM -0700, Andrew Morgan wrote:
> > Quick update for tonight.
>
> > I've found where the most likely choke point for opening files is. [1]
> > Ideally one would just make a call to extensions through
> > libnautilus-extension through there, wait for responses, then return if
> > any extension returns a False. I'm unsure if anything in Nautilus on the
> > UX side needs to happen after that (such as showing a loading icon or
> > something...) but that's currently outside the scope of this patchset.
>
> > I've been talking to and getting help from people on GIMPnet/#nautilus.
> > After explaining the whole idea to a few people, I've been prompted to
> > post on the mailing list. I have now done so with a RFC of sorts on the
> > idea and whether or not they'd be prone to accepting it upstream once
> > it's ready.
>
> > The post is currently awaiting moderation approval, but I'll link it
> > once it goes up so people can keep up with the discussion.
>
> Great, thanks for the update!
>
> > Andrew Morgan
>
> > [1]:
> > https://github.com/GNOME/nautilus/blob/master/src/nautilus-mime-actions.c#L2421

Another update,

The mailing list post still hasn't been approved. I messaged on GIMPnet
about it not too long ago so hopefully the appropriate people will get
pinged eventually. The team is currently busy with GUADEC so it's
understandable they may be running behind on moderating posts on a not
too traffic heavy mailing list[1] :)

In terms of the patch, I've inserted the necessary code into all the
accompanying files and Nautilus builds successfully. During my testing I
threw a return statement in there and confirmed it blocked all file open
attempts silently, which is intended behavior.

I've stuck the WIP code up on Github, currently it segfaults but the
cause is known. I'll be modifying the qvm_trust.py NautilusPython
extension to make use of this method soon, and once it all works out
I'll provide some pre-made .RPMs for testing.

Thanks
Andrew Morgan