List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    Re: [qubes-devel] Re: qvm-convert-pdf
From:       Sam Hentschel <hentschelsj () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-05-19 4:44:20

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 06:16:03PM -0400, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 05/18/2017 02:13 PM, Sam Hentschel wrote:
> > I tested it by replacing the ones in /usr/lib/qubes in another template
> > and apparently it doesn't change the resolution despite adding it as an
> > option.
> >
> > I talked to a couple people who were more knowledgeable on this than I,
> > and one of them said:
> >
> > "so, if it is converting fonts to a png, it's just going to become
> > blurry, because rendering fonts as an image doesn't scale well, and
> > fonts are designed to scale"
> >
> > They then went on to tell me that the only way to preserve the text
> > perfectly would be to use OCR to turn it into plain text.
> >
> > After sharing with them the link to the ITL's post on the pdf converter
> > they basically said the best way to preserve resolution would be to not
> > convert it and instead just sandbox the application (run in a DispVM).
> >
> > So, I'm starting to have doubts about whether this little endeavour will
> > work or not.  However, I want to try a couple more things (step by step
> > conversion, and different image formats) before I call it quits.
>
> I think you'll find that advice was incorrect; most fonts were made to scale
> to high resolution.
>
> Experiment directly with pdftocairo and options like -r and -antialias and
> -mono. When I test with a command like this:
>
> $ pdftocairo -r 300 file.pdf
>
> ...I see a dramatic improvement over default font quality. You can even use
> higher res -r 600 with -mono for extra sharpness without any anti-alias
> "blur".
>

> --
>
> Chris Laprise, tasket@openmailbox.org
> https://twitter.com/ttaskett
> PGP: BEE2 20C5 356E 764A 73EB  4AB3 1DC4 D106 F07F 1886

Well, then I guess I'll just have to play around wiht settings a bit
more before I give up on this endeavour.  I'll check those out tomorrow
when I'm not in the lab.  Thanks for giving me a concrete example
tasket!

I'll let you know how it goes over the next couple days.

--
Respectfully,
Sam Hentschel