List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    Re: [qubes-devel] Re: GitLab
From:       Peter Todd <pete () petertodd ! org>
Date:       2017-05-13 23:21:21

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 03:18:39PM -0500, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> There are many other methods you could use to attempt to verify the
> master key fingerprint aside from relying on the Qubes website. Here's
> a brief, non-exhaustive list:
>
> * Use different search engines to search for the fingerprint.
> * Use Tor to view and search for the fingerprint on various websites.
> * Use various VPNs and proxy servers.
> * Use different Wi-Fi networks (work, school, internet cafe, etc.).
> * Ask people to post the fingerprint in various forums and chat rooms.
> * Check against PDFs and photographs in which the fingerprint appears
> (e.g., slides from a talk or on a T-shirt).
> * Repeat all of the above from different computers and devices.

Don't forget the PGP web-of-trust.

For me personally this is a very short trust path with multiple connections.
For example:

1) my PGP key is 0x7FAB114267E4FA04
2) I've signed Nicolas Vigier (boklm)'s key, IIRC after a keysigning a few
   years back at a Tor conference.
3) Nicolas Vigier has signed the Qubes Master Signing Key.

Which you can see here: \
https://pgp.cs.uu.nl/paths/7fab114267e4fa04/to/2067001b1b678a63.html

A few more paths:

Me to Ola Bini:      \
https://pgp.cs.uu.nl/mk_path.cgi?FROM=7FAB114267E4FA04&TO=295c746984af7f0c&PATHS=trust+paths
 Me to Holger Levsen: \
https://pgp.cs.uu.nl/mk_path.cgi?FROM=7FAB114267E4FA04&TO=091AB856069AAA1C&PATHS=trust+paths

Unfortunately the tools to actually find these paths all kinda suck, but they
do at least the paths exist. The one I used to find the above is
https://pgp.cs.uu.nl/, however it has the significant limitation that it only
works for keys in the "strong set" - the Qubes signing key is *not* in that set
because it has never signed another key that is in that set.

IMO the Qubes project should fix this.