List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    [qubes-devel] Re: GSoC 2017 - Qubes MIME Handlers Final Draft
From:       Andrew Morgan <anoa () openmailbox ! org>
Date:       2017-04-03 13:49:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

On 04/03/2017 02:44 AM, Andrew Clausen wrote:
> Hi Andrew,

Hi Andrew!

> This looks great!  One thing:
>
> On 3 April 2017 at 09:38, Andrew Morgan
> <anoa@openmailbox.org
> <mailto:anoa@openmailbox.org>> wrote:
>
> To achieve this, a new context menu will be added to all supported file
> managers (Nautilus, Dolphin) with the string "Always Open in
> DisposableVM...". When clicked, a dialog box will appear, allowing the
> user to choose whether to mark that file, folder and/or file type as
> untrusted. Double-clicking or opening that file in the future should
> then always result in the spawning of a DisposableVM.
>

> Web browsers are also responsible for opening lots of files.  Is there
> an easy way to include web browsers (along with Nautilus and Dolphin)?
> For example, I wonder if it's possible to configure Firefox to open
> everything via Dolphin (or via your code).
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrew

While out of the scope of this project, I think it certainly is possible
with a Chrome or Firefox add-on! I've seen a few "Download Managers" in
both browsers that can actually intercept the download action.

When opening a file from our add-on we could quickly check the trust
level of the ~/Downloads folder and act accordingly.

Cool suggestion, thanks!