List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    Re: [qubes-devel] Re: Running (or not) Xen during installation
From:       Chris Laprise <tasket () openmailbox ! org>
Date:       2016-11-06 23:14:24

On 11/05/2016 04:46 AM, Joanna Rutkowska wrote:

> In the long term, we would like to maintain *full* isolation of most of the PCIe
> devices (so DMA and MSI capable) from the TCB (perhaps except for the MCH pseudo
> devs).
>
> This should be maintained throughout the whole boot process, starting from the
> reset vector. I don't think running Linux would allow us to achieve that. So, we
> should aim at keeping Xen, and in the future, when we have better firmware to
> work with (Coreboot?) make sure that at no point in time any of the untrusted
> PCIe, such as your WiFi NIC, can interfere with the boot process.
>
> joanna.

Speaking of long-term, it would be interesting to know if ITL could
consider specifying a hardware platform where Qubes or a Qubes-like OS
could operate with greater consistency. The Qubes community currently
spends most of its time and effort trying to reconcile the OS with the
whims and priorities of Windows PC vendors.

Even if its not realistic to build such a PC in the near term, having a
hardware (and firmware) specification that supports the objectives of
Qubes could be educational and garner interest from more
hardware-focused people and projects. It would also serve as a reminder
of how (comparatively) problematic most PCs are.

Chris