List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    [qubes-devel] Question about nonfree software in Qubes
From:       D G <dguthrie () posteo ! net>
Date:       2016-06-22 23:28:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

Dear Qubes developers,

I am interested in Qubes OS because of its design. However, I have a
question about what software is included in Qubes, and whether it is
free or non-free, particularly the Linux kernel.

I have been using Debian GNU/Linux with a grsec-patched Linux-libre
kernel for some time. I use only the main repository as this is just
free software, which is more secure because it can be audited.

According to your FAQ, Qubes is not GNU Free Software Distribution
Guideline compatible "for the same reasons as Debian". I would like to
clarify what this means; do you include any non-free software in your
repositories? Does Qubes include the non-free firmware that is included
in the upstream Linux kernel, or is it separated like Debian is, with
only the free software included by default? Do you use the Linux-libre
kernel patches, and if not, since Qubes uses RPM package manager, would
it be possible to use the Freedora repositories produced by the
Linux-libre project? Does Qubes use Grsecurity to secure the underlying
OS that hosts the AppVMs?

Thank you,