List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    Re: [qubes-devel] DispVM design decisions for Qubes 4.0
From:       Chris Laprise <tasket () openmailbox ! org>
Date:       2016-05-13 22:45:49

On 05/13/2016 10:18 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 07:44:27PM -0700, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> We already have a drop-down menu, a button, and a right-click context
> menu for attachments in Thunderbird (with the Qubes Attachments
> extension). We could add menu options for opening attachments in
> different DispVMs with commonly-used presets and user-definable
> entries. For example:
>
> Open in DispVM
> =>Open in online DispVM
> =>Open in offline DispVM
> =>Open in printer DispVM
> =>Open in PDF DispVM
> One more click... And I guess it may be too much for average user - not
> only to choose which files open in DispVM instead of in that VM
> directly, but now to choose which DispVM flavor. Every time.
>
> - --
> Best Regards,
> Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
> Invisible Things Lab

Besides the obvious worries of letting a domU internally select other
vms and vm features, I find this loading-up of menus and very specific
vms to be rather baroque.

As I mentioned below, a LAN services vm - playing a similar role to
sys-usb - could handle printing, scanning, NAS, etc. Once that is
established, treat it like the microphone.... Right-click on your appvm
and select an option to allow forwarding print jobs to the LAN vm. Even
general network access for the dispvm could be handled this way.

Chris