List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    Re: [qubes-devel] Opening the source of Qubes Windows Tools
From:       Andrew <kyboren () riseup ! net>
Date:       2016-01-27 16:47:41

Rafał Wojdyła:
> [And again, this time with inline signature...]
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm happy to announce that today we are opening the full source of Qubes
> Windows Tools!
>
> Detailed instructions for building are in the qubes-builder-windows
> repo, which also includes an example builder config to use.
>
> Following repositories are needed to build the installer:
>
> * vmm-xen-windows-pvdrivers
> * core-vchan-xen
> * windows-utils
> * core-qubesdb
> * core-agent-windows
> * gui-common
> * gui-agent-windows
> * installer-qubes-os-windows-tools
>
> And here you can find the official blog post:
> https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2016/01/27/windows-tools-open-source/

Awesome!  Great news.

To my understanding, and as was alluded to in the post, this signals a
shift in business strategy.  That is, that instead of having some sort
of paid "premium" Qubes distribution, the Qubes team now has a different
model for supporting itself.

Is this actually untrue?  In either case, this brings up the question:
exactly how will ITL fund Qubes development?  What is the long-term
plan?  Is there a long-term plan?

On a related note, I know ITL has received a few recent grants.  How
does the Qubes team envision such grants playing a part in the future
funding of the project?  Are there guidelines for whose and what kind of
support to accept?  For example, should ITL seek grant funding from
various arms of the US government?

Thanks,
Andrew