List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    Re: [qubes-devel] guest OS support matrix
From:       "Jeremias E." <j.eppler () openmailbox ! org>
Date:       2016-01-24 23:24:49

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hello,

Qubes is a user oriented desktop operating system with a focus on security.
In my opinion clear communication which Qubes OS is currently supported
in the qubes homepage is really important. Additionally the supported guest
OS
versions should be mentioned.

The table for Qubes OS could look like:

> Qubes OS 1 | outdated |
> Qubes OS 2 | outdated |
> Qubes OS 3 | f20 | stable (recommended) |
> Qubes OS 3.1-rc1 | f20 | outdated |
> Qubes OS 3.1-rc2 | f20 | testing |
> Qubes OS 3.1 | f20 | future stable |
> Qubes OS 4.0-alpha | fXX | in development |

Qubes OS guests for stable (3.0) and testing (3.1):

Fedora:
Fedora 23 (stable)

Debian
Debian 8.2 "Jessie" (stable)
Debian 9 "Stretch" (future - testing)

Whonix:
Whonix XZ (Debian XY)

Archlinux:
--> rolling release

Windows:
Win 7 + Qubes Tools 3.xx

I think supporting outdated linux distributions should not be the goal of
Qubes - Development Team.
Furthermore the guest OS versions should be outdated according to the
distribution release cycles
and not be dependent on the Qubes OS versions. This is right now
nevertheless the case.

From my experience Qubes users does not switch, based on the time. They
switch if a specific feature is
complete.
To decide when to mark Qubes 4.0 as stable and Qubes 3.1 to outdated I
would recommend explaining
which features are completed in Qubes 4.0 instead of using a time based
(months) cycle.
One of the biggest issue for many users to switch from Qubes 2.0 to Qubes
3.0 was the lack of
Windows guest OS support. This shows clearly that most of the upgrade
decisions are based on
features instead of time.

I share the same opinion on LTS releases as Patrick Schleizer does.

Best regards
  J. Eppler