List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    Re: [qubes-devel] Qubes R3.1 rc2 released!
From:       Eric Shelton <knockknock () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-01-19 22:24:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 at 5:05:14 PM UTC-5, Outback Dingo wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 10:49 PM, Eric Shelton <knock...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 at 3:52:49 PM UTC-5, Outback Dingo wrote:

> > > ok, more specifically maybe i should ask, where are said patches we
> > > apply to the xen and kernel in qubes located... in the build system
> > >

> > The source for Qubes (and you can build this all from source under
> > Fedora, if you are so inclined) is available via
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/.  In particular, what you are asking about
> > can be seen at https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-vmm-xen and
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-linux-kernel.  Look in all of the
> > patches.* directories there.  The file series.conf lists the patches that
> > are applied.
> >
> > That said, none of those patches are responsible for your
> > hardware-related issues.  What is different between your experiences on
> > Windows, Linux, or even Xen on Linux, is that none of those situations
> > involve the use of "driver domains" (see
> > http://wiki.xenproject.org/mediawiki/images/1/17/Device_passthrough_xen.pdf
> > for a discussion about them).  Your Fedora install with Xen still operates
> > the network adapters in the same way as Fedora without Xen - in dom0
> > without the use of PCI passthrough.  However, if you took the time to
> > reconfigure your Xen on Fedora install to create a driver domain for your
> > network adapters (which is possible), you would run into the same issues.
> > In other words, it is not a Qubes problem (nor even a Xen problem) so much
> > as your devices are being run in a slightly different environment, and they
> > don't like it.
> >
> > I do not know how much experience you have had with running Linux on
> > laptops, but these kinds of issues are reasonably common in trying to get
> > hardware that primarily has been developed for and tested on Windows
> > working on open source operating systems.  It was much worse years ago,
> > when significant amounts of hardware lacked support or reasonably complete
> > support, and as a result you had to be selective about the laptops you
> > bought.  Sometimes you get hardware that has zero support, and sometimes
> > you get the square peg/round hole phenomenon - in that situation, you can
> > either bang on it with a hammer to get it working (there are lots of cases
> > where you can do this, if you want to dig into and modify the code
> > involved), or you can find a round peg instead (in other words, replace the
> > hardware - although this is harder on a laptop than a desktop, wifi cards
> > are usually miniPCIE, and you can easily swap in a new wifi adapter that
> > will work).  The open source ethos generally gives you three options: (1)
> > pitch in, identify and make the needed code and/or configuration changes to
> > get your hardware working, and share the changes so others can use the
> > hardware too; (2) wait long enough, and maybe someone else will do it for
> > you; or (3) use different hardware that is known how to work.  I suppose
> [...]

Just in case this is not clear, you actually could, without too much
difficulty, replicate that aspect of things on Xen.  Create a domU that
owns the network adapters (a network domain), create another domU for a
firewall (if desired), and do the necessary Linux networking magic to tie
it all together, but you would have the same problems because it is more of
a hardware-specific issue and PCI passthrough would come back into the
picture.

FYI, there are not all that many people outside of Qubes making use of
driver domains, so don't expect to find too many answers via Google
searches.  Expect to have to figure out a lot of it on your own.  Probably
a lot of what there is to learn from are efforts in trying to get
passthrough working for GPUs on Xen, KVM, and QEMU.  There was a big push
to get that working on QEMU (mostly on KVM) a couple of years ago.

Eric