List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    Re: [qubes-devel] Deterministic builds for Qubes OS -- the shortcut?
From:       "Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)" <rudd-o () rudd-o ! com>
Date:       2015-12-28 3:53:19

On 12/27/2015 10:54 PM, HW42 wrote:
> They also have the problem with timestamps etc. On the one hand one of
> the NixOS developers said so in a personal conversation. You can also
> convince your self. For example download the last build [0] of
> erlang-18.0 and grep the package:
>
> bzcat c0dyawpsa80ja2w91fcjkz075whw0rmx-erlang-18.0 | strings | grep -a '^%% script \
> generated'
> You see that the build time is included.
>
> [0]: https://hydra.nixos.org/job/nixos/release-15.09/nixpkgs.erlang.x86_64-linux
Yes, I should have been more specific about what I meant.

Like everyone else, the Nix folks have a problem with timestamps.
Unlike everyone else, though, they are pretty far along in doing the
engineering work necessary to solve these issues.  Maybe perhaps not as
far along as Debian (interestingly enough, Debian's work ought to be
reusable), but certainly quite far along and certainly more so than the
Fedora folks.

--
    Rudd-O
    http://rudd-o.com/