List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    [qubes-devel] Re: Qubes R4.0 technology preview
From:       Wojtek Porczyk <woju () invisiblethingslab ! com>
Date:       2015-12-27 11:39:40

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 06:44:12AM -0800, Eric Shelton wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 8:51:32 PM UTC-5, Wojtek Porczyk wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As a Christmas present, I uploaded Qubes R4.0-alpha1 ISO. It features
> > brand-new core-admin branch called core3-devel ("3" because it was meant
> > for 3.0, but I didn't finish it on time). The "qubes" Python package was
> > rewritten from scratch, as the basic qvm-* and qubes-* tools will be.
> > More info (and blog post) are coming after the holidays, but if you are
> > on CCC and like to know more, please come to our assembly!
> >

> I know you said more info will be forthcoming, but is there already
> something out there that explains what is different about core3 over the
> current generation?

core-admin is refactored (in fact, mainly rewritten). The aim is to make
core hacking easier, because the "current generation" is barely
maintainable and scared off many people. There is API documentation
available at http://ftp.qubes-os.org/~woju/core3doc/, although it is yet
unofficial and a few commits old.

The main technical difference is the representation of a VM. There is
new subsystem for events (replaces _hooks, which creeped through the
source). Several modules were (or will be) renamed (there will be no
more putting external files into /usr/lib*/python*/site-packages/qubes/,
like qdb.so). Storage subsystem is being rewritten. Also, the VM classes
will be slightly different; the most affected class will be DispVM,
which will change definition from "domain started from xen savefile" to
"domain without private.img". HVMs will be merged into plain VMs.

--
regards,                        _.-._
Wojtek Porczyk               .-^'   '^-.