List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    Re: [qubes-devel] Re: Qubes Security Bulletin #23
From:       Vít_Šesták <groups-no-private-mail--contact-me-at--co
Date:       2015-12-22 20:36:41

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 6:56:42 PM UTC+1, Eric Shelton wrote:

> Both of the above comments seem to be saying: "if you do not have an
> IOMMU, you're already burned, because you are open to DMA attacks."   I
> disagree with the situation being quite that binary, and it assumes a DMA
> attack is easy to come by.  They are two distinct attack vectors.

OK, that's true. For targeted attacks by powerful-enough attackers, it does
not matter. For mass attacks or attack by not so powerful attacker, using
long time known DMA attacks (that are not patchable on some systems) would
be probably more economical than using an exploit known for short time and
likely to be patched very soon.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'