List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    Re: [qubes-devel] Re: Qubes Security Bulletin #23
From:       Vít_Šesták <groups-no-private-mail--contact-me-at--co
Date:       2015-12-21 17:28:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 6:09:53 PM UTC+1, Eric Shelton wrote:

> I do not think that is correct.  Looking at lines 78-108 of the QSB, the
> characteristic that defines what you call a "traditional Xen deployment"
> does not have anything to do with using an IOMMU, but instead whether a
> backend is located in dom0 or in a "driver domain."

Sure, even without IOMMU, Qubes is not the "traditional Xen deployment"
(TXD). But it is much more similar to the TXD, because all domains with a
PCI device have access to whole RAM through DMA, so they are effectively a
part of TCB. In such cases, the attack gives attacker nothing previously
not owned on any non-IOMMU system.

> In contrast, Qubes has at least the net backend in NetVM, as well as
> ProxyVM as you noted.  Plus, if you set up a USBVM, sharing a USB flash
> drive or such causes the USBVM to act as a block backend as well.

That's true. However, if NetVM or USBVM is compromised on a non-IOMMU, then
they can perform the DMA attack. It depends if ProxyVMs and FirewallVMs are
to be considered as a significant additional risk.

Also, the QSB notes an example where an AppVM hosts an ISO for another
> domain.

Maybe this could have some impact, not sure. However, I am not sure if the
block device sharing allows such attack and what direction it would work
in. If host can attack the guest, but not vice versa, I usually don't care,
because I usually run installer from such device, implying some trust…

However, even on a system without an IOMMU, I would not say that we
> "already trust NetVMs," as there is still significant isolation provided by
> having it in a separate domain

This is what I am not sure about. Maybe such attack would have to be
slightly adapted for some type of the PCI device. But if you have a
well-known device…

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'