List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    Re: [qubes-devel] Qubes Security Bulletin #22 (Critical bug)
From:       Franz <169101 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-10-30 10:22:02

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 8:10 AM, Axon <axon@openmailbox.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > of this dangerous construct of reusing the same memory for both an
> > internal pointer and VM-provided data. Apparently Xen developers
> > believe that they can fully understand the code, with all its
> > execution paths, for decoding x86 operands. This optimistic
> > attitude seems surprising, given the very bug we're discussing
> > today.
> >
> > 3) This lack of defensive programing and perhaps over confidence
> > (in ability to fully understand all the code paths) has been
> > demonstrated by the Xen Security Team also previously. In the
> > recently released XSA 109 [2], the official patch also seemed to
> > address the problem much earlier in the execution path rather than
> > at the actual offending instructions, i.e. those that performed
> > the NULL-dereference. While asked specifically about adding at
> > least an additional check on these instructions, the Xen developers
> > were unwilling to implement it implying potential performance
> > impact.
> >
> > 4) This is all certainly a bit disconcerting and we hope we could
> > start a bit more public debate on these issues, especially among
> > independent security researchers. We still believe Xen is currently
> > the most secure hypervisor available, mostly because of its unique
> > architecture features, that are lacking in any other product we are
> > aware of.
>
> - From QSB #22 (XSA 148):
> > On the other hand, it is really shocking that such a bug has been
> > lurking in the core of the hypervisor for so many years. In our
> > opinion the Xen project should rethink their coding guidelines and
> > try to come up with practices and perhaps additional mechanisms
> > that would not let similar flaws to plague the hypervisor ever
> > again (assert-like mechanisms perhaps?). Otherwise the whole
> > project makes no sense, at least to those who would like to use
> > Xen for security-sensitive work.
> >
> > Specifically, it worries us that, in the last 7 years (i.e. all the
> > time when the bug was sitting there having a good time) so much
> > engineering and development effort has been put into adding all
> > sorts of new features and whatnots, yet no serious effort to
> > improve Xen security effectively. Because there have been, of
> > course, many more security bugs found in Xen over the last years
> > (as the numbering of this XSA suggests). True, majority of these
> > didn't affect Qubes OS, sometimes by pure luck, sometimes because
> > of the extra prudence we applied, many other times because of the
> > architectural decisions we made.  Nevertheless, the bugs in Xen
> > are being found regularly, and this is no good news. For a type-1
> > hypervisor of the age and maturity of Xen, this simply should not
> > be happening. If it does, it suggests the development process is
> > not prioritizing security.
>
> After yesteday, is ITL now considering moving away from Xen as the
> (default) hypervisor for Qubes? Or is ITL's opinion that Xen is still

Being the situation so much worse than what originally thought, and no fast
solution in sight,  I am seriously considering to move my vaultVM to an
airgapped machine, perhaps a cellphone or a mini-laptop with no network
connection.

Which is the advantage? If somebody is able to hack my Qubes laptop he'll
have to steal my credentials one by one and not all together, giving me
time to recognize the harm he is doing and  loosing something, but not all.

Best
Fran