List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Upload-Plugin
From:       Alexander Dymo <dymo () ukrpost ! ua>
Date:       2008-02-12 15:23:32

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 11:04:11 Eric Laffoon wrote:
> > > kdevplatform has a parser-infrastructure too - is this used in any
> > > way?
> > No.
> What about what Alex said way back in Germany 4 years ago when we first
> discussed this? He said the parsers could integrate. It seemed hard for me
> to believe and I think impossible for you. I think they would need to be
> pluggable, and I can't imagine inversely pluggable parsers. However it's
> not inconceviable to have modular parsing. Different parsers synchronizing
> I think would be a nightmare of threads.

Here is what we have in kdev4 infrastructure now...

Each source file can be parsed by different parsers - it's the matter of
setting the mime type in the language plugin.

For example, theoretically ruby, javascript and html language plugins could
define "rhtml" as supported extension. In this case foo.rhtml (ruby + html)
would be parsed by 3 different parsers (in 3 different threads).

The problem here is that each such parser should be able to parse only
relevant portions of the file, ignoring the others.

Another (possible) problem is that parsers will work without any
synchronizations. This means that for the source file you'll get separate
AST's (one for ruby code, one for html code and one for javascript code in my
example). So there should be either the dedicated code to merge AST's (dunno
how hard to implement) or the dedicated parser "controller" which would break
the source file into parts and parse them with different parsers (IMHO hard
to implement).

I don't know if that is of any help to you guys right now. Let me know what
you'd need here.