List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Upload-Plugin
From:       Eric Laffoon <eric () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2008-02-11 20:25:36

On Monday 11 February 2008 11:44:00 am Niko Sams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > One focus I want to work on for Quanta4 is team web site development.
>
> Do you mean only the code-level - or also communication of teams?
> (like kdevplatform-teamwork-plugin - although i never worked with this
> one)
>
> About your ideas - sorry I don't understand everything you are talking
> about - forgive my questions...

Hey, you're probably in good company. I like to pretend the reason people
don't understand me is I'm smart. (shhh I'm feeling smart now) ;-)

> > * Project file shared information - configurable on upload?
>
> What information would that be?

The project file cannot exist locally and remotely as it has local
information, and some information can be shared... like new files added and
such. Ideally this gets implemented with an RCS, but it may have a mild form
in project upload if you are in a team mode...

Ideally I want to make Quanta configurable for roles, like back end data, art
work, etc... so a project lead could say who got to see what. Short of that
level of complexity a bare minimum would be if people agreed to share a file,
entering new project files, or notifying them and asking. Ideally this would
work well tying a project to SVN for example, but not entirely.

It may prove a non issue to upload, as I don't want to provide complete file
synchronizatin in the upload managment... so maybe I should go soak my head.
Ideally sharing should use an RCS like SVN.

I was thinking of the upload offering the shared portion of the project file,
but it's probably a mistake, unless someone can figure out how to do this
without me regretting making something really ugly.

> > * Upload command configurable to recognize if project configured to use
> > CVS or SVN commit for upload? (probably bypass upload dialog and show
> > revision contrl tool as building it into the dialog sounds painful)
>
> Do you mean commit+upload in one step?

I was thinking that, but we have Actions that can handle it... so again maybe
I was thinking too loud. Actually no, I was thinking if it was configured to
do something else, at least for a profile, that upload would honor it.

So Andras has sites we work on taking the upload only as SVN commits, then it
shows on a test server and a script moves it to production. We want it in SVN
for one thing, but also a manual upload to production breaks it because only
that user can delete or change the file as it has the wrong user and group
now. so if I had an upload profile for that I'm saying if I set it to use SVN
I should not accidentally upload and break things.

> > * show Quanta Actions associated with upload in a separate tab?
> > Essentially the thought is - how do we make the ability to incorporate
> > scripts with upload more friendly
>
> Do you have examples what those scripts might do?
Pretty much anything. IIRC there is a before and after for upload. If you look
at the script section of Quanta you can see what action triggers can be used.

> > * in particular we need to have an Action or offer a script or something
> > that makes it relatively easy for a user to make sure they don't lock out
> > other users on new files. I know we can't do it all or be sure a given
> > solution will work, but we need to have some "stock solutions" we offer.
>
> Is this about a 2-way-sync?

No, this is the theoretically "no perfect solution" to uploads setting user
and group on files so other users have little or no access. What I'm thinking
is that there are possible solutions, but you have to know them and you have
to know where to put/get them in Quanta. I'm saying if there were a way to
make them more obvious it seems like the upload dialog would be the place to
do it. Doesn't it?

> Niko

Eric Laffoon
Project Lead - kdewebdev module