List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Quanta4 project support progress
From:       Jens Herden <jens () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2007-06-25 17:44:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

> So we might discuss how we want to proceed with the project file.
> I think we agree the that project wide settings are stored in the .kdev4
> file.

Yes, we agree here. But actually KDevelop has two files now, the project file
and the developer file. The project file is supposed to go into VCS for
sharing with others. So we have to think about both together.

> The question is how do we store which file is in the project.
> We have several possibilities:
> 1) We store the list of the files in a file in the toplevel directory as
> we do right now.

Why do we need a extra file? We could use the INI file format inside of
the .kdev4 file? To make it fast we could move the parsing into a thread and
really only return the top folder. I understood that reading a KConfig object
from another thread is possible?

> 2) We store the list of the files in a file in each directory, similar to
> how cmake and automake does.

Why would we want to do so? I don't see any benefit for Quanta, only slow
down.

> There is also the question in what format should we store:
> 1) XML as it is now
> 2) KConfig (INI) style (I think we already started something like this in
> the past). In such case each filename would be a group, the attributes of
> the file are key-value pairs.
>
> Obviously the most easiest way was to just reuse the existing project
> file, but this isn't mandatory, as probably we need anyway an importer
> class for the old projects.
>
> Now about the possibilities:
> 1) big file in toplevel directory: nice because everything is in one
> place. Not so nice as it doesn't follow the style of other languages, thus
> it is a little bit harder to load (see my mail on the KDevelop list). But
> this isn't a big issue.
> 2) one file/directory. Fits the KDevelop's style, but means hand editing
> and copying only the project file(s) a little bit harder.
>
> Regarding the format, I have no idea which one is better/faster. XML looks
> for me more "professional" and probably would use less lines. INI style
> would mean we could store everything in the .kdev4 file.

Whatever we will choose we have to find a smart way to store additional
information to a file from a plugin.

Jens