List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Quanta4 project support progress
From:       "Andras Mantia" <amantia () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2007-06-23 13:36:22

Hi,

> Here it does look for test.kdev4.webprj ;-)

Strange, because this happened for me while I was working, but I fixed it.
I hope I committed the latest changes...

> You are aware that you are using the project name which could also be
> defined
> inside of the project file? The filename is only the default but you could
> get another name from inside of the project file. I am not sure if we want
> this?

I didn't know it. Actually we could change this and maybe we should. See
also below.

>> The .webprj file is a Quanta3 project file. I didn't want to change the
>> syntax of it and probably won't change until it is absolutely needed.
>
> OK, but we use it only to find out which files are in the project, right?

Yes, all the other options should come from the .kdev4 file.

> Unfortunately this will bind us to one project must have a common root
> folder.
> I remember that some people complained about this and KDevelop is moving
> away
> from this too.

So we might discuss how we want to proceed with the project file.
I think we agree the that project wide settings are stored in the .kdev4
file.
The question is how do we store which file is in the project.
We have several possibilities:
1) We store the list of the files in a file in the toplevel directory as
we do right now.
2) We store the list of the files in a file in each directory, similar to
how cmake and automake does.

There is also the question in what format should we store:
1) XML as it is now
2) KConfig (INI) style (I think we already started something like this in
the past). In such case each filename would be a group, the attributes of
the file are key-value pairs.

Obviously the most easiest way was to just reuse the existing project
file, but this isn't mandatory, as probably we need anyway an importer
class for the old projects.

Now about the possibilities:
1) big file in toplevel directory: nice because everything is in one
place. Not so nice as it doesn't follow the style of other languages, thus
it is a little bit harder to load (see my mail on the KDevelop list). But
this isn't a big issue.
2) one file/directory. Fits the KDevelop's style, but means hand editing
and copying only the project file(s) a little bit harder.

Regarding the format, I have no idea which one is better/faster. XML looks
for me more "professional" and probably would use less lines. INI style
would mean we could store everything in the .kdev4 file.

> I have one file in my project but it does not show up in the tree. But I
> have
> not time yet to investigate.

I will check if I really committed it soon. The problem is that we had a
storm in the morning and there is no electricity here since then. I;m at
my parents now, so I can mail, but cannot work.

Andras