List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    [quanta-devel] The new KDEWebDev server
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-03-27 17:09:02

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

 As I announced earlier (to -devel lists), the KDEWebDev website was
moved to a new server, which is completely under our control, Eric and
myself having root access to it. The biggest change regarding the
server itself is that it runs PHP5, Apache2 and Subversion.
*.kdewebdev.org already points to the new site.
 The user accounts were not migrated, therefore I ask everybody who
wants to have an account there to contact me. The following persons are
qualified for an account:
- application developers (for the KDEWebDev module)
- persons wanting to help with the website itself
- persons wanting to help with the newstuff database

Information about developing the KDEWebDev site:

1) The repository is available at
svn+ssh://USERNAME@kdewebdev.org/home/kdewebdev/kdewebdev.org/trunk

2) The site layout is the following:
- there is a directory for each subsite (e.g. "quanta" for
quanta.kdewebdev.org)
- the main site (kdewebdev.org) is under "main"
- "main" holds the common PHP and CSS files as well
- "scripts" holds important scripts for developing the site

3) The configuration for the site is in a site.conf.php file (not in
svn, but there is an example there), which you should modify to set up
a local test site.

4) You SHOULD NOT use the upload feature of Quanta. There is a live test
site on the server, meaning that the commits are automatically visible.
The test site can be accessed by appending .test to the domain name
(e.g. quanta.kdewebdev.org.test). As such domain names are not
recognized by DNS servers, you have to add it yourselv to
your /etc/hosts file and point to the same IP address as the
kdewebdev.org is.

5) Propagating the changes to the real site can be done with the
updater.kmdr script. It takes your username as an argument. We might
discuss if it will be allowed to everyone to update the main site or if
it will be restricted to some persons.

I think these are the most important informations about the site itself.
For further discussions please use the kdewebdev-site list
(http://mail.kdewebdev.org/mailman/listinfo/kdewebdev-site).

People who are "good hackers" and would like to test the securness of
the site  should contact us before trying to do so, otherwise it would
be considered as a malicious attack.

Andras