List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] KDE 4.0 release plan
From:       Andrew Lowe <andrew.lowe () manildra ! com ! au>
Date:       2007-03-19 21:23:42

Andras Mantia wrote:

>>It looks pretty stable now from the documentation... I got KDevelop
>>to compile and run - with a few crashes (as expected), but otherwise
>>ok...
>>

>Yeah, that is "normal". Also you probably noticed Alexander's mail. In
>any case, you should subscribe to kdevelop-devel
>(https://barney.cs.uni-potsdam.de/mailman/listinfo/kdevelop-devel) and
>ask KDevelop platform related questions there.

I will

>>I have had a good look at kdevelop plugins, they look like a bit of
>>fun to implement...
>>

>I hope you understand fun in a good sense.

Yes... the documentation suggests basic implementation is pretty easy
(nothing to complicated), so fun in a good sense

>>A big issue I see is that CSSSelector uses it's own DTD data (from
>>the quanta/components/csseditor/data directory) rather then the dtep
>>data. Would it be better to get the DTD data from quanta's dtep data
>>so that elements can be updated in one place?
>>

>It would be better if it could reuse the quanta dtep. If there is a need
>to extended them (like information is not available in the current
>DTEP), we can do it.
>As I told, the CSS Editor was developed completely by one author, partly
>independent of Quanta. Now it makes sense to integrate them more in the
>sense of coding style[*], resource usage (dtep, like you pointed out).
>
>[*] I don't want to force a coding style except for parts that can be
>used across plugins (the interfaces), but the style should be
>consistent across the files of a plugin and would be nice to have all
>methods documented using doxygen docs. We tried to do it when we ported
>all code to the new place.

This is what I thought, however - for starting, I think I might leave it
as is, until I get the basics ported, then look at integrating with
dtep, etc...
I think the Quanta coding style guidelines are pretty good - They are
not much different to what I normally use, so I will use them. It also
makes the code maintanable by others if I cannot continue with it later.

>It doesn't compile, because KDevelop changed a lot. You can help with
>this part as well (to make it compile), if you want. I finally have a
>recent KDE4 version compiled (with KDevelop), so I can also look at
>this, but if you're faster, I don't mind. ;-)

I did not really expect it to compile - you said you have done much
lately, however I gave it a go just in case :-)
I do not expect I will get there first.  I might get a chance to fix one
or two things, but I doubt it.

Thanks

--
Andrew Lowe