List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] KDE 4.0 release plan
From:       Alexander Dymo <dymo () ukrpost ! ua>
Date:       2007-03-16 21:08:09

On Thursday 15 March 2007 23:03, Andras Mantia wrote:
> - there is a high amount of work which means get the old code, split it,
> create new plugins from it and try to make it to work as good as the
> old one. Work which is not so demanding (when its about thinking), but
> can take a lot of time.
This sounds like a good Google SoC application. Do you know of any volunteers
to do such a project? There's still one week to find a candidate.

> For this reason the Quanta4 development is almost stopped. Whenever I
> sit down to work, I enjoy much more to do some hacking on the old
> Quanta (and there is plenty of things to do - fix - there as well!) or
> on some website ;-).
Hehe, I was reluctant to work on KDev4 last year but I forced myself to start
in December and now I just can't stop ;)

> That is about me. But there are also technical reasons why Quanta4
> development is delayed. Quanta4 is radically different in the
> architecture from Quanta3. The latter was a monolithic application, the
> new one is plugin based using the KDevelop platform. The new code is
> more understandable and documented and I like it very much and I'm sure
> in the end it will be fun to hack on it.
I hope you'll like the new KDev4 architecture even more. While it does
basically the same thing, it's a lot more flexible than 3.x. Especially when
it comes to what I guess Quanta might need. I mean completely
project-independent language supports (which we promised for so long) and
lightweight "generic project manager" which can open any directory as a
project. Also you might find interesting that you can have many language
supports processing the same file (like php + html).

> KDevelop suffered also a rewrite between KDE 3 and KDE 4 and it is very
> likely that they cannot  keep up the KDE 4 schedule. This is one of the
> reasons why Quanta cannot keep it up as well.
I feel rather bad about that because each time we spoke about KDE4 and
releases we promised to release at least kdevplatform with KDE4.
There's no doubt KDevelop4 IDE will be ready only for KDE4.1.
But unfortunately, I don't think we can release kdevplatform with KDE4.0.
The schedule is too tight and nobody from release team liked the idea
to delay 4.0...

> There were times when I very much disliked
> what and how is happening inside KDevelop and I even thought that we
> should go on our own way, but the benefits of sharing the
> infrastructure are soo big, that we really should try to overcome the
> problems and work with them.
Well, we have our problems and make mistakes (I do that as well)
but it looks like we were able to overcome them and I hope we're still
are able to overcome them.
In any case, our position on KDevelop+Quanta collaboration
is still unchanged ;)

> For example if we just think about the UI:
> otherwise we have to write our own UI...
Please don't ;)

>  I have to see again where are they, hopefully in much better state.
I saw you read my architecture mail already ;) Yes, we're in a good shape.
Platform is not alpha, but it's as stable as possible already.
I was itching to write an architecture overview for the whole week
and your email was the last straw :)

>  Parsing non-XML parts needs some state machines. This is not that hard
> to do, and probably it is fun as well. Parse-while-type is the biggest
> challenge. I have some experience with it, and I know how much headache
> it can cause. Actually right now I'm debugging some crashes in
> Quanta3's parser which are most likely caused by this part of the
> code...
We have already working background parser stuff in kdevplatform,
what you need to do is to create a language support plugin for html
and make it return a "parse job" which would parse the document.
Our background parser will take care about reparsing on changes then
(currently that doesn't work, but we will have to fix that and I guess you
can use our code here too).