List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] quanta-devel Digest, Vol 45, Issue 3
From:       "Andras Mantia" <amantia () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2006-12-21 12:16:39

> Thank you Andres...
> But can pls help me to lock the files while writing by different users....
> pls since its required in the development of my organisation.... also I
> will
> introduce myself my name is Sushant and working in CDOT, Bangalore
> company... and I am just trying to use Quanta from 8 days only and
> modifying
> it for perl  language and also the different scripting languages together
> XML, HTML,etc...
> so pls help me out in locking the files...

If you work in a team I STRONGLY suggest to use a version controlling
system (cvs or subversion) instead of FTP as it has proper locking,
concurrent access management, merging support and such. I have no plans to
replicate all this in Quanta for FTP, FISH or other protocols. My opinion
about using FTP or other remote projects is that it should be used when
you want to access *your* project from a remote computer. In case of a
team, I could imagine the following:
- the code (html, xml, whatever) is in a version controlling system
- very user has a local checkout of the code and creates a Quanta project
from this checkout
- if you for example want to work from home, you can access you local
checkout on your work machine from home via FTP or FISH (ssh).

But I'd never "share" the code via FTP between the team members if it can
happen that the same file is modified at the same time by different
members.