List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] new template ideas
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-12-21 16:11:51

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 21 December 2005 18:04, Samir M. Nassar wrote:
> My understanding is that as a Project Quanta needs more developers.
It wouldn't hurt at all.

> That there is a backlog of work to be done. In that environment is it
> prudent to be adding stuff to Quanta whose maintenance is going to
> add more work?

Yes, as plain bugfixing is boring and with new ideas and code sometimes
(many times) even the old code is much improved and bugs get fixed
along the way.

> The question is: should this be a function that Quanta takes over?

It will offer this functionality for those who don't know or want script
languages. Quanta's job as a tool is to help the productivity of the
users and I don't see how this would hurt.

> As a user my answer to this is: I hope that other bugs get fixed
> before this gets added to Quanta.

All I can say is that we fix the bugs we are aware of and which we *can*
fix. The *can* is important. There are old bugs in the bugzilla
database, which were not fixed because:
- we cannot reliably reproduce (like those FTP/FISH hanging bugs, one is
522 days old)
- might be bugs not in Quanta
- might be not fixed with the current codebase of Quanta without going
mad (slow behavior in some cases)

But for the rest I fix as soon as I can reproduce it. So bugfixing has a
high priority, but improving the code and the feature set according to
our and our user's ideas is also very important.

> Yes, but that is an issue that ought to be addressed. How many
> features do you intend to bring into Quanta Plus only to have them
> not be properly debugged/supported?

We don't know. Take a look at VPL. Eric explained what happened with it.
It can happen the same anytime with other features: somebody starts it,
but after some time disappears and we have a not properly debugged
code. The same can happen with code I wrote, but it is not used by many
people either because they don't need that feature or they are not
aware of. In such cases I can fix only the bugs that I find during
coding and every developer knows that he cannot find easily his own
bugs. Write a software, think it's "bug free" and I'm sure your friend
will find a bug in less than a minute. :-)

> I just filed bug#118805 which gave me and idea.
Yeah, I saw it. I will fix today. Seems to be easy to do.

> If one stored text snippets in the templates directory how about
> being able to drag and drop them into Quanta?
Have you tried it?

And yes, D&D has a lot of potential in this new object template issue.

Andras