List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Help With Getting Source Code (bunzip2,
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () easystreet ! com>
Date:       2005-09-21 19:29:38

On Wednesday 21 September 2005 8:40 am, Randy Kramer wrote:
> 1. I've seen somewhere recently (but probably in some archives--and I don't
> have the reference at the moment--if I find it I'll forward it) that dcop
> may go away in qt/kde4 (maybe that's only for specific applications?), to
> be replaced by something called dbus (iirc).  On the assumption that I'll
> want to migrate to qt/kde4 when it is released/more widely available, am I
> wasting my time with dcop?
>
> Oops, wait, here it is, a post on kde-devel from yesterday (20050920):
>
> <quote>
> Re: Dcop and KDE4
> From: Thiago Macieira <thiago@kde.org>
> To: kde-devel@kde.org, dfeustel@mindspring.com
> Date: Yesterday 08:41:12 pm (20050920)
>
> Dave Feustel wrote:
> >Could someone who knows please describe
> >plans for DCOP in KDE4?
>
> The current plans are:
>
> Short version: no DCOP.
>
> Long version: we still haven't decided how to best interoperate the KDE4
> applications, which will most likely speak DBus natively, with the
> DCOP-speaking KDE3 applications. There are several levels of problems
> there, including ioslave creation, the ioslave wire protocol, klauncher,
> kded functions, etc.
> </quote>

This has been interesting. As for your needs it's purely academic. Whatever
happens in KDE 4 we will use the same functionality in either IPC and similar
calls. There will be a compatibility layer for KDE 3 apps and there will be
conversion utilities no doubt for scripts. Since KDE 4 is probably at least a
year out and the DBUS API is far from stable I see little point in worrying
about it from a script writer perspective.

I could get into the Qt wrappers for DBUS here, but that is also academic. ;-)

BTW there really isn't any reason to be concerned with Kate functionality
either. We can use their plugins but most of the extensible functionality for
your type of use is in Quanta. If you really want to be anal, for KDE 4
Quanta will merge frameworks with KDevelop and inherit a number of it's
features as well as share some of ours. The interface will still be our stuff
but as plugins. Once again there really isn't a reason to learn all about
KDevelop to use Quanta... However if you're really intent on writing some

Eric