List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Help With Getting Source Code (bunzip2,
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-09-20 20:17:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 21:46, Randy Kramer wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 September 2005 01:50 pm, Andras Mantia wrote:
> That, iiuc, would be your external preview.  Based on my experience
> so far, that would not be nearly fast enough to suit my needs /
> desires.

No, this is not external preview. It will still preview in the internal
preview of Quanta, it will just get the HTML file from a webserver.
The typical usage is:
- you have a project in /home/user/project
- you have a webserver running on your system, where
http://localhost/~user points to
/home/user/public_html

- you create a symlink from /home/user/project
to /home/user/public_html/project
- set for the project properties the preview prefix to
"http://localhost/~user/project"

When you try to view file.php or file.xml from project, it will request
http://localhost/~user/project/file.php, thus you will get the processed
result of the webserver instead of the PHP file itself.

> One of the problems is it seems (unless I'm missing something or
> version 3.2.0 is that far behind the leading edge),
It's quite old.

> each time an
> update (a new piece of HTML) is sent to a browser for the external
> preview, a new instance of the browser is initiated, thus I have to
> wait for the startup of the browser.
For Mozilla and Konqueror it should detect the running instance and open
the page in a new tab. But this is not relevant to the preview prefix,
altough of course it works for external preview as well.

> There are some other factors that I haven't raised so far, some of
> which might be relevant to your suggestion:
>
>    * I want (in most cases) the rendering to be driven by the text
> editor--I want to issue a command in the text editor to have a new
> piece of TWiki markup rendered, I don't want to go to the browser and
> pull (request) a new piece.

See above. F6 and you will get the new version. You don't even have to
save your file.

>    * I don't think this is directly relevant, but another thing I
> didn't mention is that the TWiki marked up text file contains
> multiple records (separated by a(n arbitrary, i.e., changable) record
> separator, currently "\n---++ ").  Almost always, I will send only
> one record of TWiki text for rendering at a time.  Further, I don't
> want to send that text to a file (either disk based or RAM based) as
> an intermediate step--either one will slow things down unacceptably.
I don't see how slow can it be if it just goes through your local
machine.

> Describing my speed goal (with my tongue deeply in cheek), if I have
> one of these files with say 2000 records and 2 MB (characters), in
> nedit (the editor I currently use for the purpose) I can scroll
> through all 2000 records in about a second.  (How fast can you move
> the elevator bar on an application like nedit ;-)  I'd like to get as
> close as possible to that kind of speed in the next generation of my
> project.

Ok, so the other solution is to create an action that processes the
amount of data you want, creates and HTML and opens that HTML in a
browser. But this will work (currently) for external browsers only,
because there is no DCOP interface to open a preview inside Quanta.
BTW, if you want to deal with actions, you should play with DCOP.
Launch Quanta and the "kdcop" tool and try it.

>    * why do you ask--is the internal preview feature going away?
No, contrary, it will be even better (live update in Quanta4).

Andras