List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    [quanta-devel] Help With Getting Source Code (bunzip2, subversion),
From:       Randy Kramer <rhkramer () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-09-20 16:20:49

Hello,

Brief background:

(aside: I have spent a little time reviewing some of the recent archives of
this list, among them the thread on Quanta -> Kdevelop4--I'll ask some
questions about that in a future post)

Quanta is (almost) doing something that I want to do in a project I'm working
on, so I'm thinking it may be a good starting point for what I want to do:

   * Quanta lets you edit a plain text file with HTML markup and then
(internally) preview it as rendered HTML.

   * I want to edit a plain text file with TWiki markup, filter that to HTML,
and then (internally) preview that as rendered HTML.

So, without knowing C or C++ (but having made some attempt to learn them at
least twice), I'd like to dig into Quanta's source code and see if I can make
any progress toward my goal.

The first problems I ran into involved simply getting the source:

Problem 1: bunzip2:

I'm not an expert with bunzip2 (or tar xvfj), but I have been unable to
bunzip2 these files from http://kdewebdev.org/releases.php:

   * kdewebdev-3.4.2.tar.bz2
   * kdewebdev-3.4.1.tar.bz2

I have been able to bunzip2 the following file from
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/snapshots:

   * kdewebdev-svn.tar.bz2

Has anybody worked with those files recently and know whether there are any
problems?

I keep getting

bash-2.05b$ bunzip2 kdewebdev-3.4.2.tar.bz2
bunzip2: kdewebdev-3.4.2.tar.bz2 is not a bzip2 file.

or

bash-2.05b$ tar xvfj kdewebdev-3.4.2.tar.bz2
bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
tar: Child returned status 2
bash-2.05b$

I did upgrade bunzip2 (on my Mandrake 10 system) from version 1.0.2 to 1.0.3
but that made no difference.

Off Point Questions:

   * The first two files listed above are very small (20 KB) compared to the
last (9 MB)--I was hoping that either of the first two contained primarily
the source code for Quanta only (i.e., without all the libraries or whatever
else is required to create the full Quanta executable--thus I was hoping that
those smaller files would be enough to let me begin to understand how Quanta
is put together without all the details that would probably confuse me as I
begin this quest).  Is that anywhere close to correct?

   * In any case, assuming I want to understand primarily how kate/kwrite work
together with khtml to do the internal preview (is that also known as the VPL
(Visual Page Layout)), where is a good place to start (within the entire
source tree as downloaded as an unstable daily snapshot
(kdewebdev-svn.tar.bz2))  (Hmm, I guess I don't want an unstable daily
snapshot, but instead the source code for the (older) 3.2.0 version of Quanta
(see next question).)

   * Is the internal preview going to be significantly changed with QT/Kde 4?
If so (and maybe even in any case, I probably want to stick with an older
version of Quanta (like 3.2, currently which is what came with Mandrake 10)
so any testing modification I might make locally (in my explorations of
Quanta) will work without upgrading Mandrake 10 or the kde supplied with it
(3.2).

Problem 2: Subversion:

Also, I've never tried svn before yesterday (had to download its source and
compile it).

I think my problem is that I'm playing a guessing game with the location of
the repository--can anybody point me to the correct locations?

bash-2.05b$ svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/kdebranches/KDE/3.4/kdewebdev
svn: No repository found in
'svn://anonsvn.kde.org/kdebranches/KDE/3.4/kdewebdev'
bash-2.05b$ svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kdebranches/KDE/3.4/kdewebdev
svn: No repository found in
'svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kdebranches/KDE/3.4/kdewebdev'
bash-2.05b$

Finally, can I still check out the 3.2 version of the code (I assume
so--presumably just replace "3.4" with "3.2"?)

regards,
Randy Kramer