List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    [quanta-devel] Wishlist: PHP syntax error highlighter
From:       James McGuigan <james () worldfuturecouncil ! org>
Date:       2005-09-03 23:15:26

Hi all, I'm new to this list.

After some recent exposure to ActiveState Komodo to do PHP development, I have found
one great feature that I think could be implemented in Quanta. A PHP syntax error
highlighter. Each time you make a syntax error in Komodo (such as a missed semicolon,
mismatched braces etc), it will underline the offending line in red, and make a note
of it in the status bar.

In essence what such a feature would need would be:

- On each file save, or semi-colon character insert, run the checker.
- The checker would run the current file through the php lint checker (php -l $file)
- The results would be parsed for lines such as:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in listing.php on line 11

- Copies of these messages could placed in the messages window.
- Additionally, if listing.php is open, line 11 would be flagged (much like a
bookmark), and an appropriate syntax highlighting rule could display it to the user.

Would such a feature be hard to implement and which parts of the code would need to
be modified.

My C++ is a little rusty and I have no exposure to QT, but if you could give me a few
pointers as to where I should look first in the code, and which bindings or classes I
focus on, then I might just have a go at implementing it myself.

Would I need to implement anything as a kommander script, or are all the Quanta
internals written in C++?

Thanks in advance.

--
Rules are written for those who lack the ability to truly reason,
But for those who can, rules become nothing more than guidelines,

Earth Emergency - A Call to Action (www.earthemergency.org)
Sustainable Society Directory (www.sustainable-society.co.uk)
World Future Council Initiative (www.worldfuturecouncil.org)
Open co-op (http://open.coop)