List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Quanta as DocBook editor: ready
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () easystreet ! com>
Date:       2005-07-11 16:56:39

On Monday 11 July 2005 7:13 am, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Monday 11 July 2005 08:04, Eric Laffoon wrote:

> > > At the moment we don't yet know why only these scripts don't work. I do
> > > have an idea for a work around if we don't find any other solution,
> > > though I don't have the time and am a little too rusty to debug the XML
> > > libraries, and I was going to test my work around ASAP.
> >
> > This is absolutely infuriating. There may be some reasons to handle
> > things different like in a stream oriented solution, but I wonder if
> > these guys just "have to" be different. Previous versions did work right
> > and we know this. Here is what I've confirmed doesn't work...
> >
> > xmllint --valid index.dockbook > myfile
> >
> > In theory it should be possible to offload it to a temp file, but this
> > won't work. This outputs to console and creates a blank file. You can
> > also output to HTML, but in order to render it it appears you have to
> > next copy and paste from the terminal. I mean it looks like they
> > absolutely want you to use the console. I found where I could look at IO
> > functions..
> >

> > xmllint --testIO
> > This reveals an option for --output filename but _it_ also doesn't
> > work... xmllint --valid --output myfile index.dockbook
> > Not only does this not work, but the option is _not_ found in the man
> > pages. I went to their bugzilla to see if there was a bug report on this
> > because I can't image we're the only ones wanting to redirect output.
> > Their pages says they focus on clean code but their bugs say they have
> > lots of memory leaks and I'm falling asleep scrolling it.
>
> [...]
>
> > Any ideas welcome. libxml2 looks broken to me but maybe they have some
> > reason for not using the same type of interface every other shell program
> > does. I can't imagine why.
>
> To me it looks like that either you are using a very old version or that
> your setup is broken. The (very) latest release of libxml2 is 2.6.20.
>
> I've been using libxml2/xmllint in various combinations, currently in KDOM,
> and it works just fine. Daniel Veillard et al writes one of the fastest and
> most comformant XML implementations around. `xmllint file.xml > output.xml`
> should work.
>

> Cheers,
>
>   Frans

I just did a system switch over to multilib on my Gentoo AMD64 system and now
I need to edit some configurations and update the rest. So there may be
problems caused there. I'll update and check it out, but it seems odd that
others (probably running other systems) are finding this. Would other people
looking at this please verify and confirm?

I have libxml2 2.6.11 and the latest in Gentoo stable is 2.6.19.

I would like to get some idea if this is a fluke or if we need to recommend a
required version (or version to avoid) for libxml2.

Thanks for the info Frans.

Cheers,

Eric