List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] quanta.cpp
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-06-17 20:59:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 17 June 2005 21:19, Linus McCabe wrote:
> On Friday 17 June 2005 18.32, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > The idea is good, but I don't think this will work in every case.
> > The currentfilename = w->url().prettyURL(0,
> > KURL::StripFileProtocol); is suspect. Have you tried with remote
> > files where you use a user name and password?
>
> What would be a better way? Making a KURL out of the filename
> parameter and using KURL::equals() ?

Maybe, I don't know. Or just use w->url().url() ?

> I have not tried remote files, never use them :]
> Could do some tests though and see how it works.

Please do so.

> > BTW, are you interested in writing an XDebug debugger plugin for
> > Quanta? If not, can you give me some details what is needed to have
> > another debugger?
>
> I wouldn't mind having a look at that.
> My main concern is what timeframe we're talking about. I'd like to
> work more on both Gubed, Quanta and about two tons of other projects,
> but there are only so so many hours in a day. And usually not even
> that many ;) But if there is not too much of a rush...
>
> There might need to be some adjustements made to the debugger core to
> incorporate a new debugger, even if I've been trying to make things
> non-Gubedish as much as possible.
> Other than that, it's just to write the plugin...

> Assuming, of course, you mean XDebugs visual debugging tools. There's
> nothing made to support things like profiling etc in Quanta yet.
>
> On a side issue of that, there's been a lot of talk of moving to the
> kdevelop shell, what's the status and timeline on that? Should I look
> into making my debugger plugin(s) for KDevelop as well?

The short story is that there is a request to use XDebug in Quanta by
some people who might even sponsor this feature. Best would be to have
in 3.5, so I estimate we have about 1.5-2 months to do it. As I have no
idea about the current debugger code, I'd like to know if you are
interested. But it's understandable if you work more on Gubed. :-) So
if you don't have time to do it, I will take a look, but some guiding
might not hurt.

Regarding the KDevelop thing: yes, I think the best would be if both
Gubed and XDebug would be available for the KDevelop debugger interface
as a plugin, but as this is a long term goal (1-1.5 years from now),
naturally those who want the feature would not like to wait that much.
So it would be nice to have it in 3.5, or at least soon after 3.5 (in
3.5.1 or a 3.6 release, if *really* needed).

I don't know their exact expectation, but plain debugging would be ok
for now, I'd say.

Andras