List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Re: Using KDOM in Quanta
From:       Jens Herden <jens () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2005-06-07 3:08:11

> > > We should also ask ourselves what use is given
> > > for the structure tree.
> > > BTW, do you think it's importante for the node tree to show non XML
> > > nodes? I can't see no use for that.
> >
> > I do see a use, but it is more theory than practical experience. You
> > should ask people who are working a lot with PHP to get a better picture.
>
> This is an important issue as it could determine if special areas must
> belong with the rest of the tree.

I am not sure where the problem is here. We can parse the XML and later parse
the special areas and insert them in the KDOM tree, can't we?

> > > It already does, because it's rendered by KHTML.
> >
> > So are we talking about the future or about what we have now? We came to
> > the point where we agreed about having only _one_ tree is the way to go.
> > Where is KHTML then?
>
> I don't understand the question. Are you suggesting we should change our
> rendering engine?

I think so, yes, if we change to the new KDOM and we want to have only one
tree we have to use the upcoming KHTML2, right?

> > So I agree that reusing an existing parser can
> > be a good choice and it is also smart to untie XML and script parsing.
> > But detecting the script areas when you are parsing XML is also smart
> > because it prevents another parsing just for area detection.
>
> But you don't parse the script areas in detail twice so I doubt it would
> turn out to be a performance bottleneck. We could also have a lazy approach
> for parsing XML. IMHO this performance issues are premature and we should
> focus on choosing the right way of doing things.

Yes, performance is important here and for me the right way is the fast way
here. Because of this I want the first parse do the XML parsing and the
detection of the special areas. Later we only parse the already detected
areas instead of the whole document.

Jens