List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Re: KDOM
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-25 18:11:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 21:07, Paulo Moura Guedes wrote:
> My view of a web authoring tool is that it should do more than just
> typing text. The rigth way to do it is manipulating nodes.
> Manipulating text directly is a hack and very limiting. You need to
> manipulate nodes, not only in VPL but also in any view, including
> source, if you want to do some operations. I know that the source
> view doesn't fit well in this model because you modify directly the
> text document

Exactly.

> (though you can and should have more complex operations
> available that would require node manipulation).

But the most frequent operation in source view is typing text.

> In VPL is always the
> oposite way. So you have here two views that *must* work in two
> diferent ways. That's no way around it.
> What we could think of is a way of optimize this, if needed:
>
> In VPL - Node tree -> Text
> Update only the changed text areas.
> Don't know if needed. Currently, all the text is generated and I
> don't much of a problem with that even in split mode.

I vote for changing only the required portion because:
- it is faster (especially with large documents)
- it is less error prone as you don't touch what is not modified.

> In source - Text -> Node tree
> Why can't we just update the node tree when needed:
> - Change to the VPL view; rebuilding all the node tree is acceptable
> IMO.
Right.

> - Before doing any node manipulation, which doesn't happen
> offteb in source mode.
> - In split mode I also don't thing that it is problematic to update
> all the node tree in order to update VPL when editing in source.

What would help is to detect which nodes were changed in the (Quanta)
node tree and merge that with the KHTML DOM tree. Just like we do with
the source. The whole node tree is not rebuilt on every keypress, just
the part which was changed.

> So, I don't see other possible solution neither any real complicated
> issue to solve.

So your proposal is to keep the current implementation?

Andras