List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Re: KDOM
From:       Jens Herden <jens () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2005-05-25 1:19:34

Hi,

> > 1. in the future we should not save the text that was parsed inside the
> > node. Just the coordinates is sufficient, if we need the text we can look
> > into the texteditor.
>
> Yes. But we have to take care of the indentation... maybe we could just
> save the indentation text like "\n     ".

I do not understand this.

> > 2. in order to preserve the user formatted source we should
> > copy/cut/paste just in the textdocument. Then we can use the undo feature
> > of the texteditor. We have to take care of syncing the dom tree though.
>
> Interesting thought... so you mean making the the changes in the node tree
> and then synch the text editor. I see some disadvantages though:
> 1. in VPL you'll have to rebuild all the tree when undoing.

If we would be able to find the area in the text document that has changed we
could avoid this. Maybe we need support from the Kate part for this?

> 2. you can't have user defined indentation.

What is this?

> 3. what holds the document is the tree not the text editor.

That is what you say now and not what I am proposing. I would like to think
about the opposite. The textdocument is the document and the tree is just a
view.

> So if count on the text to make changes to your document you'll soon will
> find some limitations like the first point.

Maybe, but I think it is worse to investigate this. Maybe the parser is fast
enough so that this is not a problem at all.

> I don't think this is a good approach.

I don't think that what we have now is a good approach ;-)

> It would apply the Quanta formating. See above. Eric want's custom
> indentation and I would like to implement that so I think it would be more
> an advantage that the opposite.

I am not aware about what Eric wants. And until it is not discussed in the
public his wishes are non existent for me, sorry. A am not able to take care
of things I do not know. My abilities of mind reading are unfortunately very
limited.

Jens