List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] first thoughts about Quanta -> KDevelop
From:       Jens Herden <jens () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2005-05-09 11:46:58

Hi Andras,

>  I've just found your mail (again).

:-)

> I mostly agree with what you wrote there. Of course threaded parser will
> be a challenge for us, but together with you we might clean up it, make
> it more readable and logical. Another challenge will be to make the VPL
> a separate component that communicates with the parser using a clear
> interface. This is mainly because I don't know the VPL internals.

Yes, this might become a callange. Let's see what we can make.

> Other items:
> - upload profiles: how would other KDevelop languages profit of it?

Because I assume that at least the PHP language support might want to use this
feature. It is not connected to the parser and just needs some additional
information about a project file, so it can work fine with other languages
too.

> - bookmarks: I'm fine having the KDevelop style toolview, especially
> that it shows context information as well in a tooltip. You were right,
> that by improving it and providing a "comment" entry for each bookmark,
> it may even be used as the annotation view. And with the help of a
> toolbox (like the one in the Documentation view of KDevelop) it may
> even have a "Current File" and an "All Files" area. But in this case
> hand editing (outside of KDevelop/Quanta) of the files will break the
> annotations.

...if we have a background parser we might solve this. Background parsing
could also be helpfull for link information and automatic updates of links.

> - scrip tree: I never used KDevelop's script support, so I don't know
> yet if it can be reused for Quanta or not.

Me too, we have to investigate.

> - files tree: KDevelop's File Selector and File Tree is a little bit
> different, but we can improve one of them. File Selector is not a tree
> like view (we might add that mode), while File Tree lists only the
> files under the project directory. None of them support the concept of
> top-level folders, which might be very useful (and I know that Quanta
> users use it, as there were requests about it).

You are right and I remember that I already made a version of the filestree
for KDevelop after aKadmy but this got deleted somehow :-(
But it was not very difficult to do.

> - debugger interface / Gubed: Linus should comment about it. Would be
> nice if it could be ported though.

Should not be very hard to do.

> - preview: I don't know what you mean about the internal/external
> preview here, nor what's in the comment field about .desktop file. I
> believe that preview should be a language dependent plugin or
> integrated code.

External preview is preview in Opera, Firefox or what ever. Internal preview
is in the KHTML part in a toolview or the editor area.
I do not like the current solution for external preview with the script that
is why I thought about .desktop files to define how a file can passed to an
external browser. But this might be overkill and a sane configuration dialog
can solve it as well.
Preview is at least for the PHP language quite usefull. In the moment there is
on KHTML part always vissible for this.

> - spelling: I think it's already dropped

oh good.

> - problem reporter: KDevelop already has one, but might not be enough.
> We will need to check it. Of course, our problem reporter must be
> independent from the structure tree. I already have ideas about it.

fine.

> - abbreviations: if KDevelop's one cannot be integrated, a new one
> should be written. As I see it already can make a difference between
> file types, altough for us "forb" might mean something else in the same
> document, depending on the area where the cursor is.

Yes I do not want to loose functionality here too.

Jens