List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Annotation support
From:       Jens Herden <jens () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2005-04-28 7:52:05

> > You are right, for external links we should create a configuration
> > option with default set to off so that we do not generate unwanted
> > errors and traffic. But local is IMH no problem at all, to check if a
> > file exists or not should be very quick.
>
> Think that way that local is not local anymore in case of remote
> projects.

Right, but I assume that you have a network connection if you work with a
remote project, don't you. But I admit that I am not sure how much network
traffic is produced if I test the existence of a remote file. In the case of
FTP I think zero because the KIO slave does some kind of caching.

> > When I was thinking about this I had the links inside of the project
> > in mind because I think these are the more error prone. And it should
> > not make KLinkChecker obsolete, just support you on the current file
> > in the editor.
>
> That's fine. I still don't know how often should we check for the links.

Every time when the structure tree gets build. This would be on opening a file
and on every switch between files.
But maybe it is enough just once when you open the file? I do not know what is
the best solution.

Jens